[Closed on January 17, 2022]
[2021-2nd] POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER IN DATA SCIENCE, IBS
The IBS Data Science Group in Daejeon, South Korea, invites applications for several postdoctoral researcher positions. The expected starting date is March 1, 2022. The candidate should have a Ph.D. by the start date.
The Data Science Group (https://ds.ibs.re.kr) launched on January 1, 2019, at the Institute for Basic Science (IBS), by Chief Investigator (CI) Prof. Meeyoung Cha. Data Science Group is located at the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) headquarters in Daejeon, South Korea, a city of 1.5 million people.
We seek talented, highly motivated researchers. Successful candidates for this position will be new or recent Ph.D. graduates with outstanding research potential in the fields of computer science and related fields of data science. Our research group strives to advance the data science research field by developing new computing methods using machine learning and deep learning methods to analyze real-world data about society. Our projects leverage massive-scale datasets, computational models, and theories from sociology, communication, cognitive science, network science, econometrics, climate physics, computational biology etc. Current research includes interdisciplinary projects with a high impact on society, such as computational models for climate change, prediction of population dynamics and poverty mapping using high-resolution satellite images, and the development of new therapeutics using Artificial Intelligence based protein design.
- Research experience and thorough understanding of methods and concepts in machine learning and deep learning, particularly in natural language processing, computer vision, human-computer interaction, remote sensing, complex networks. We expect applicants to have leading authorship in publishing papers at top tier conferences and journals such as KDD, ICML, ACL, CVPR, AAAI, CHI, PNAS, Science, and Nature.
- Proficiency in computer programming using major programming languages
(e.g., high-level languages commonly used in the scientific community such as Python, R, and Scala, as well as related machine learning and deep learning tools such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, and scikit-learn).
- Effective communication, collaboration, and organizational skills. Leadership abilities in managing projects, mentoring other members of the group.
The successful candidates must have a Ph.D. degree (or receive it soon) from an accredited university in a relevant discipline, such as computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, statistical physics, computational social sciences, computational biology, climate physics, or a closely related discipline. Candidates should be Ph.D. degree holders by the appointment date.
The current position is a non-tenure track. The appointment is initially for one year. The contract can be extended by another two years based on the evaluation of excellence. In case of the Group’s closure during employment, the employment contract will be terminated accordingly. The starting salary is KRW 57,000,000 or above. A low-cost economy flight will be supported to overseas applicants.
Application Process and Requirement:
For those who are eligible and interested, please submit your application package that includes:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including the publication list (PDF format)
- Research statement (up to 2 pages, PDF format)
- A minimum of 2 recommendation letters
- PDF version of one key publication as the 1st or the corresponding author
Applications should be received by January 17, 2022, at 11:59 pm KST (Korea Standard Time). Recommendations letters forwarded by an applicant directly will not be considered. Applications can be submitted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Interview dates for those invited will likely be in the fourth week of January 2022.
For more information about the research group, please visit the following weblink: https://ds.ibs.re.kr
For Korean citizens who have not yet completed their military duty: IBS는 병역특례지정기관입니다. IBS is a designated institute for alternative military service.